The Chapel of the Black Madonna

Follow us on

This is all that remains of the small church of Saint Mary Mater Domini, which had been donated to St. Anthony by Iacopo, Bishop of Padua, in 1229.

This is where the Saint celebrated Mass, preached, heard confessions and prayed. The Saint was buried here from 1231 till 1263.

The beautiful Gothic altar with its majestic statue of the Blessed Virgin is the work of a French master: Renauldin Puydarient (Renauldin of Gascony, 1396).

The walls are covered with frescoes from the 13th and 14th centuries.